Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Our Wedding - Part 1: Getting Ready

The wait is over! After two months of anticipation I've decided to end my procrastination streak and you're finally getting the rundown on our special day.
We had some stressful moments during the planning process, but I was nicely surprised on the day of our wedding at how relaxed I was. I know having my Mom with me was a huge influence. Since we had an evening wedding I didn't have to get up too early; something I'm NOT a fan of doing. Wendell on the other hand was already gone when I awoke.

My Mom and I had the morning to ourselves. We talked and laughed as we began our preparations for the day. I was even able to have a relaxed breakfast with both of my parents. I had missed breakfast with them. It wasn't something we did together often since my Dad works early in the morning and I couldn't remember the last time the three of us had sat down and not only enjoyed breakfast, but each other's company as well.

After breakfast and running a few last minute errands I picked up Kristen; one of my bridesmaids (and best friends) for some pampering time. We headed out to a local salon to have our nails done; something else I hadn't done in quite some time. The lady that tended to us was really sweet. Unfortunately she worked rather slowly and I wasn't able to make it to the MAC counter and have my makeup done as I had planned.

We had a rather small budget for this wedding and I didn't really see the need to spend hundreds of dollars on makeup for one day. Granted it was one of THE most important days of my life, but I still couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money, especially because I'd only be getting charged that much because it was my wedding day and not because some magical technique was going to be used on my face. And besides, I've always liked how my makeup turned out when I would visit the MAC counter (well, with maybe one exception). And the bonus, I'd end up with some new makeup. Alas, I didn't make it. So, I just opted to paint my own face.

This was also the point I think I started to stress out a bit. I had left Kristen at the salon because I had to get home, do my makeup, gather my belongings and get to the cottage to have my hair done. I foolishly told Kristen I'd be back to pick her up and take her back to her hotel so she could get ready. I hadn't realized exactly how late it was. It took me a long time to accept the fact that I wasn't going to be able to do what I had promised and I felt bad leaving her to taxi it up to get around. Turns out I stressed out for nothing as she made it to the wedding.


Finally at the cottage I was able to relax again. Having my hair played with has always been soothing for me. Getting my hair done was a definite highlight! Our friend Eddie did an amazing job. I couldn't have asked for a better stylist.






Apparently Wendell was stressed out more than I was. He kept having people check up on me, pacing and most likely biting his nails. Luckily he had Carl, one of his best friends and our officiant there to calm him down and get him to laugh.







I enjoyed a couple of margaritas while hanging out with the most important women in my life: My mom, my sisters and my friend Kristen. I was also taking care of a few last minute details; like putting together our playlists. And of course I was indulging my ego and enjoying having my picture taken, especially with my mom.





After the beautification process was complete, it was time to put on the dress. The dress that my mom had made from scratch by a seamstress friend of her. Aside from having my family with me, it was THE best gift I could've gotten that day. I had found the dress of my dreams online only to find it had sold two months prior to finding it. I simply sent my mom the pictures and VOILA! I had my dress!






My parents brought a gift for Wendell too. A guayabera. It was perfect for our mexican themed wedding. He looked so handsome in it and it complemented my dress so well.







The ceremony was set to start at 6pm but it started to rain. And not just a simple rain, it POURED! There was plenty of thunder and lighting that came along with it. It was decided to have the ceremony moved indoors but I really had my heart set on an outdoor ceremony. So, with the help of the magnificent Danielle, wife of our friend and officiant Carl, we had everyone move back outside once the rain lightened up enough. At this point the awesome mexican paper flowers my mother and I spent the previous week working on had withered during the downpour.

The sun had started to peek out. After eight months of planning and a couple of freak out moments I was ready to walk the walk. I, along with my Maids of Honor and Bridesmaid were ready to go.






To be continued..........................Part 2 coming up tomorrow!

No comments: